Having a knife nearby can be crucial in many situations. Whether you are in the kitchen preparing food, working on DIY projects, or trying to get by in the wild, it is an essential utility. A handle is a crucial part of any knife; therefore, it ensures a comfortable grip and long-term use.
Moreover, if you would like to learn how to make a knife handle? It is vital to pick the right handle material depending on what you expect from a knife. That is why it is best to design a homemade handle that will fit your expectations.
1. Knife Handle Materials – Which One Should You Choose?
You can choose between a long list of available materials, both a blessing and a curse.
Here are some homemade knife handle ideas for the materials to为您的项目选择!
- Wood– the most frequent choice for knife handles. It is an affordable material that is easy to find. Wood is available in many varieties to ensure it suits your expectations. The grip is also comfortable and resistant to slipping. However, wood is porous, and the grip might lose stability over time.
- Leather- 真正的皮革不一定要昂贵，它将为您的刀提供传统的外观。因此，如果您是猎人，您可能会喜欢皮刀。但是，这不是耐用的材料，您可能需要经常更换手柄。
- Bone- 这些是经典的手柄选择，骨头可能来自不同的动物。其中包括水牛，牛，绵羊，还有麋鹿，鹿等。问题是骨头可以用重型使用而破裂，握把可能很滑。
These include human-made materials, and here are the smartest choices:
- 碳纤维– although it is expensive, it is famous for being extremely durable. Also,碳n纤维轻巧；此外，随身携带它不会很重。唯一要确保的是避免急剧影响，因为材料是脆弱的。
- G-10 – we get this from afiberglasslaminate called Garolite. It doesn’t look attractive, but it is incredibly durable and tough. You will often find textured handles for an improved grip. That makes it versatile and suitable for indoor and outdoor use.
- FRN - 它是玻璃纤维增强尼龙的矮小，它首先出现在美国市场。它非常耐用，而且负担得起。但是，FRN的抓地力不如G-10舒适。负担能力可确保有多种选择可用于不同的用途。
- 不锈钢– as a metal, it is resistant to corrosion, which makes it durable. Despite that, stainless steel isn’t the hardest material out there, which is why it’s not great for heavy-duty knives. However, most common users will find that it is affordable and fits their expectations.
- Aluminum– a light material with impressive corrosion resistance. It will last for a long time, but it is vital to have a proper texture. You can use it indoors and outdoors, but make sure to avoid cold weather since it can be chilly to hold.
- 钛- 是一种非常强大的材料，可提供舒适的抓地力。它也很轻，但是很容易刮擦。好消息是，钛适合寒冷的天气，因为它不会冷藏在您的手中。
2. What Do We Need to Prepare Before Making Knife Handles?
准备工作是成功项目的关键，它适用于制作刀柄。因此，您将需要某些DIY技能才能很好地执行所有步骤。其中包括基本的木工和金属加工技能。您可能需要油漆亭来处理epoxysection of our guide.
The first thing to secure is the materials to use during the project. Here is what to acquire:
- Blade– the blade should fit your size requirements.
- Scales– check out the section on materials to learn more about which to pick.
- Pins– if necessary, pick between solid, mosaic, or those with rivets. The pin should fit the blade optimally.
- Epoxy, masking tape, and sandpaper– you will need these as additional materials.
As for the machines, here is what you will use:
3. How to Make a Knife Handle
Caption: Various knife handles
You are now familiar with different materials and preparation required to make a DIY knife handle. It’s time to describe the process step by step, so there needs to complete the project successfully.
Here are some tips on choosing the right material:
- Wood– the most versatile material suitable for both folding and heavy-duty blades. You can checkvideoson how to make a walnut and cherry knife handle, too.
- Bone- 如果您想要时尚耐用的刀，则是一个绝佳的选择。
- Stag- 它利用鹿鹿角，因此很自然，而且也很独特。
- Aluminum- 如果您想要轻巧的刀片，请选择此选择。纹理手柄将减少它从您的手中滑落的风险。
- 不锈钢– it is corrosion-resistant, and you often find it mixes with rubber to enhance grip.
- G-10– a fine material that is both strong and lightweight.
We will discuss several most popular materials in this article, and our main guide will focus on wood knife handles.
Before you begin, our suggestion is to get rid of any distractions. Make sure that you have at least a couple of hours to focus on this project. Once you master knife handle making, you will enjoy crafting it and using your knives!
3.1. Preparing Materials and Cutting Handle Material to Size
Here is what you need to do within this step:
- 抓住一些胶带和包装锋利的部分of the blade. That will ensure you don’t cut yourself while making a knife handle.
- The next thing is grabbing your handle scales and cutting them to the desired size. You want them to be a square, but leave up to an inch of additional material to have wiggle room.
- Use a pencil or any other marking option to mark the blade’s edges on the scales. Feel free to place the knife and then mark around it.
- Next, activate your band saw and use it to make a vertical cut. It is vital to leave up to a half of an inch of additional room. Therefore, you will use the sanding process to get everything to perfection, and we’ll discuss that later.
3.2. Drilling Pin Holes
Caption: Drill closeup
Here is how to handle the process:
- Grab the scales and tape them together. Use the tape to place the blade handle over the top.
- Use a pencil to identify where the pins should place. It is vital to be careful and position the holes properly, which affects how to make a handle.
- Pick a drill bit that’s close to the pin size but larger. For example, if your pin is 0.125 inches (1/8), you will use a 0.132 drill (3/16).
- Place the scale into the clamp and start drilling. Always begin from the edges and then move to the holes in the center.
What If Your Knife Has Rivets?
If that happens, your goal is to countersink the hole to achieve the required depth. Therefore, it’s best to take advantage of a caliper to measure the rivet’s head, and that will decide the hole size to drill.
Sanding and shaping the scale section that is near the blade’s edge is imperative. However, the scales should be symmetric for the knife to look attractive.
3.3. Cutting Your Pins to Size
It is time for the next step to make a knife handle, and it starts by joining the handle. Now, the pin’s outer sides must remain visible. Grab a pencil and head to the long side to mark a 1/8Th用于切割。
3.4. Epoxy the Blade Handle Together
Caption: Epoxy closeup
You will need to use a paint booth for this step. Make sure to take a couple of clamps with you and some paper.
Once you epoxy the handle, time will be of the essence. Therefore, you will have a short time to do everything right regarding how the coating works.
Are you ready for the actual process? The experts advise to get the epoxy ready and apply a brush on a single handle. Next, connect that to the blade, and then place the pins in their position. Your idea is to connect the metal and wood. Now, grab the other scale handle and epoxy it. Position the scale over the protruding pins and connect everything.
You can use a clamp to ensure the handle is well-connected. Allow it to rest for 5-10 minutes to tighten. If you notice epoxy on the blade’s outer side, use some tissues to remove it immediately. You don’t want to risk it drying as it will be almost impossible to remove then.
3.5. Sanding Your Blade Handle into Shape
Caption: Sandpaper closeup
制作自制刀手柄的下一步是将其变成所需的形状。您可以首先计划所需的形状来做到这一点。可以随意适合您的需求 - 您是否希望您的自制刀有薄或宽的手柄？您想要创意或特定的形状吗？
There is no reason why you shouldn’t start the sending process and decide then. The only thing you need is to use a belt, circle, or spindle sander. Now, begin on the outer section and sand the material until it’s even with the metal. If you use a circle sander, rotate the handle to achieve the desired form.
It is up to you to decide when to finish the process. However, make sure that the pins don’t stick out – if that happens, do some sanding on them, too.
我们接近完成ing the how to make a wooden knife handle project. Therefore we still need to do polishing and finishing. Feel free to choose the desired polish, and use sandpaper to act.
The experts recommend the sandpaper to be 400-600 grits. Therefore you can go above that limit if you want a perfectly smooth handle. Now, the process is simple – apply the polish, and use the sander.
Perform this process a couple of times, and apply another polishing layer. Leave it to rest overnight to see how it will look in the morning. If necessary, you can repeat the process.
If you feel like you could use video instructions, check out this useful footage on making a knife handle:
4. Making a Stag Knife Handle
Caption: Stag knife
的过程是一个鹿刀不同的than with other materials? The imperative is to find this natural material since it is quite pricey and not easy to find.
- Firstly, Prepare the stag by deciding a position for cutting the horn. The idea is to make it flush, and you can use a hacksaw. Don’t forget to smoothen the edges once you finish using the tool.
- Secondly, Boil the stag in hot water. You can leave it for 60 minutes in the bowl (remove from the heat). The idea is to soften the material.
- Thirdly, Use a vise to wrap the blade, and don’t forget the masking tape to avoid cutting yourself during the process. Position the stag to put it onto the tang. Leave it overnight to dry.
5. Making G-10 Knife Handle
G-10 is another knife handle material you can use. Here is a short step by step guide for making a G-10 knife handle:
- Then, grab a hand drill to begin drilling, and you can take advantage of a drill press to even out the holes.
- Use brass bolts as pins and assemble the handle. Use epoxy to glue the scales together.
- In addition, clean the epoxy residue and let it dry. Once you finish that, you can use sanding to achieve the desired shape.
The entire process starts by removing the old handle. You can use a hacksaw or a similar tool to do that. Before this, don’t forget to wrap the blade’s sharp end to avoid getting cut in the process.
If you are making a knife handle, you can choose between a variety of materials. That will ensure the product fits your requirements and preferences. Although you need to spend some time to prepare the tools and materials required, the actual project won’t take a lot of time and effort.
NCcuttingtoolscan provide various blades and tools at affordable prices. The company has modern equipment and knowledgeable staff capable of complying with customized orders. If you believe we can help with your next project, don’t hesitate to contact us today!